Friday, August 28, 2015

The Usual Suspects...


In this post I must ask your assistance, dear readers!

I have those accomplishments in mind that I have found, and I should greatly like your help in both adding to the list and establishing tangible benchmarks of proficiency that I might work towards.

So, without further delay, I present The List.  Keep in mind that we are spanning approximately 800 years, so things that might not occur to you as being "ladylike" in one period may be from another entirely!  I will elaborate on the "heyday" of different accomplishments when I post about them.  This is a very messy list- my comments are included where I need your advice, otherwise feel free to fill in the blanks- so I promise to be adding a cleaner-looking one to the post explaining the Project.


Accomplishment:
Horsemanship (Side Saddle)
Goal:
Being able to jump aside?  Is that too overzealous?  I do have a good deal of experience riding astride, but I have also had the opportunity to ride aside, and they are admittedly two different creatures entirely.



Accomplishment:
Sewing
Goal:
Those of you who know me know that I already have a great deal of experience sewing historical clothing.  What do we think of... one complete set of clothing per rotation of fashion with period-correct construction for each?  That could get to be a lot, especially come the 19th century.  Might be interesting to chronicle, though, and it would give me an excuse to have something available for every time period I could wish to do.  What do you all think?

Accomplishment:
Lace Making (Reticella, Punto in Aria, Knotting, Tatting, Tambour, and Broderie Anglaise)
I've chosen so many- and these in particular- because they span both the time periods and forms of lace nicely.  They are also laces which would be worked by ladies, not just piecework farmed out to poorer ladies or made by master lace makers.
Goal:
This is going to be a one-piece goal.   The goal will be making a piece of lace that I can attach to something or use independently as some kind of superfluous table covering.  I simply adore superfluous table coverings!


Accomplishment:
Spinning, Dyeing, & Weaving
Goal:
This goal is going to have an exception- unless I come into contact with a full sized loom that I can easily access, I'm going to let finger weaving satisfy.  This would have to be a requirement anyways, being enormously popular in the earlier part of my timeline.  Shall we say, a pair of garters made from wool I've spun and dyed myself?

Accomplishment:
Embroidery
Goal:
There are of course several types of embroidery prevalent in different periods, and I'll pick a "sampler project" from each and post about it in its turn.



Accomplishment:
Personal Grooming
Goal:
Experiment with and perfect the toilette of a lady from each era in question. (The goal itself will coincide with the Sewing goal, and will accompany each ensemble.)  I'm thinking about experimenting with the cleanliness regimens of each era, maybe by month (contrary to popular belief, there has never been a period in recorded history when people just didn't clean themselves on a regular basisit just wasn't always the way we do today)?  We'll see if time allows.

Accomplishment:

House Care (Laundry, Upkeep of Furnishings, etc.)
Goal:
Perform "spring cleaning" in a period home using entirely period techniques.


Accomplishment:
Cooking
Goal:
Make a full course meal for each period.

Accomplishment:
Geography & Politics
Goal:
Identify the flags, locations, and political makeup (monarchs, etc.) of Europe from 1200 to 1960, of Britain from the fall of Rome to 1960, and of the United States from its foundation to 1960.

Accomplishment:
Society Knowledge
Goal:
Be able to identify "who's who in the zoo" of British and American high society in the pertinent eras.

Accomplishment:
Music
Goal:
I took piano lessons for a good three years when I was young, and I hated practicing.  I could just cop out and count singing as my musical accomplishment, but that would be seen as deficient in period (after all, Miss Bingley differentiates between them), so I shall do both.  As a piano is going to be the instrument most readily available (that is, it's already provided in homes and would not require transport and is therefore not something I would have to buy), I figure I'll give it another shot!
I will also be learning the psaltery, a medieval instrument pictured below.  I will bring it medieval Christmas caroling as my goal.


Accomplishment:
Popular Culture
Goal:
Know the major musical artists and theatrical productions of each period.

Accomplishment:
Medicine
Goal:
Be able to identify the home remedies of the sick room for which a lady would be responsible for in each period.



 Accomplishment:
Language
Goal:
I will endeavor to attain a basic knowledge of two languages.  While Ms. Bingley calls an accomplished lady master of "the modern languages", I am only going to expand my own knowledge to encompass Latin and French, the lingua francae of their respective periods.

Accomplishment:
Art
Goal:
Complete a watercolor and ink on paper family record.



Accomplishment:
Literature
Goal:
Complete a reading list of contemporary works as yet to be compiled (suggestions welcome!).

Accomplishment:
Dancing
Goal:
Memorize by heart the top ten most popular dances of each of the time periods.  Attend a ball or dance utilizing these dances.

Accomplishment:
Penmanship
Goal:
Study penmanship through courses provided by IAMPETH (International Association of Master Penmen, Engrossers, and Teachers of Handwriting).  This is a personal passion of mine- if you've ever received a letter from me, you know I have a fondness for artistic embellishment and fine handwriting.



Accomplishment:
Historical Miscellany
Goal:
If I come across something that would have been common knowledge or practice for ladies of a certain era and I have a chance to participate in it, I will make a post about it under this tag.


Please do feel free to add to the list in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. I feel like you could get a doctorate in each of these subjects. B thinks this sounds like a life work for you - do it all, write a book when you're finished, and then retire ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I'm certainly not expecting it to take a small amount of time, but hopefully I'll be able to learn a lot along the way and share it here. Ladies of the period have about 20 years of free time to study on me, so we'll see!

    ReplyDelete