Saturday, September 26, 2015

Curiosities of Soap

Just a small post here-

Over the past few months I've been noticing that the more I use carbolic soap, the less I like the scent of modern soaps/softeners/detergents.  Now, those of you who have grown up with carbolic soap know the smell- the closest thing I can compare it to is the smell of burning tires.  But that's all it is, perhaps with some sweeter undertones.  I'm finding that modern soap smells grate on the back of my throat like a harsh chemical might.  This is interesting to me because carbolic is a chemical (phenol) and it doesn't have that effect on me.  What, then, does modern soap contain?

I decided to have a look.

Carbolic Soap:
Sodium palmate/palm kernelate, water, glycerine, cresylic acid, carbolic acid, sodium DTPA.

Irish Spring:
Soap (sodium tallowate and/or sodium palmate, sodium cocoate and/or sodium palm kernelate), water, glycerin, hydrocenated tallow acid, coconut acid, fragrance, sodium chloride, pentasodium pentetate, pentaerythrityl, tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxyhydrocinnamate, titanium dioxide, D&C Green No. 8, FD & C Green No. 3.

...I will never be able to pronounce "tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxyhydrocinnamate".

Now, I'm not crying from the rafters about "oh no harmful unnatural chemicals in soap!!!" because obviously carbolic isn't exactly all natural lye soap either.  I'm not advocating you stop using modern soap- I'm sure that tetra-whatsits is in there for a reason and does its job splendidly.  I just think it's curious how things have changed, and wonder how necessary all the extra stuff really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment